Friday, August 3, 2007

Please send salvation from the heat

I just read my buddy Jamie's blog and I must agree with his assessment of the heat. I also grew up in the south (Richmond, VA which I consider as south as Birmingham, AL) and played sports in weather much worse than this. Boy have I become a weather wimp since moving up here. Bring on the winter! I can take the cold.

I got out at lunch for just over 5 miles at a 7:30 pace and felt like I ran twice that far twice that fast. The good thing was that I got to try out my new Garmin Forerunner 305. Great tool. It is nice to finally have a heart rate monitor and GPS in one package, and the software and web tools for analysis (and making cool maps) is great.

Back to Jamie's blog...he mentioned he got an iPod and was looking for some good podcasts to tune into while running. I do most of my solo long runs listening to Podcasts and some of my favorites include "EndurancePlanet.com" (which Jamie plugged), "The Competitors Radio Show", "The Final Sprint Podcast", NPR's "Car Talk" for humor and NPR's "All Songs Considered" for some great music reviews and live shows. (Books on tape are also great for those long runs.) Enjoy.

1 comment:

Jamie Anderson said...

Awesome about the 305! Glad you like it. Really is a huge help for training. If you haven't already, check out a program called SportsTracks for the 305. Not sure if it's Mac compatible though (BTW, I can't wait to get my Mac. I'm slowly converting).