Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Three days and counting

Instead of running today I spent the time developing my detailed race plan, including what my handlers, Brian, Renie, and my wife Kelly, will prepare for me at each handler station. I have decided to alternate between using my hydration pack (Nathan pack, weighing in at 6 oz. - great pack) and handheld bottles. I suspect using either for too long will become annoying so switching it up seems like a good plan. I am also going to try and avoid using the hydration pack during the heat of the day when the handler stations are closer together to keep things as cool as possible. Seems like the right thing to do right now...

While I developed this detailed plan I knew in the back of my mind this could all go out the window at any point in the race if I run into digestive issues or any of a million different things go wrong. There are lots of things that could go wrong in 100 miles. Keeping these issues down to a minimum and under control when they do happen is what separates a great ultra run from just a bad time. This is indeed a very thin line separating the two. The plan that I used in training, and which worked at the JFK 50-miler last year, was to eat anything and everything so as to get my body used to variety and to rule out those things that didn't work. I know from experience that I can not stick to simply gels, energy bars, and sport drinks. I need variety and it is this variety that keeps me moving to the next aid station.

I am just happy I have my buddy Brian along who has vowed, in his own words, to protect me from the ice cream eating hippies that apparently inhabit the Vermont countryside. This may be hard at mile 90 when I suspect I may be so far gone that I will end up carrying on a conversation with Cherry Garcia...

Status update. My legs felt a little sluggish today but I believe that is nerves, which happens before every race. It is funny how often I find my legs feeling like I have cinderblocks for feet when running my warm up before 5Ks and 10Ks. I have been hydrating and eating well. The weather still looks good in Vermont but a little wetter than may be wanted. At least it will be cooler than it could be in July. Little to no wind is expected. So again, I feel compelled to report that I have absolutely no alibis for the race...

2 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Weather upadate: NOAA is now calling for no chance of rain, partly cloudy skies, and a high of 78! We really couldn't ask for more in mid-late July.

Your plan sounds like a perfect one based on your experiences. Very well thought out and logical.

This is going to be a real hoot, eh? See you tomorrow!

Blaine Moore said...

That sounds like a good plan.

I always race better when I go into a race with a detailed plan of what I want to do and when I want to do it. I may not wind up following that plan, but it always helps having it available.