Monday, February 11, 2008

Krispy Kreme's sticky run

Today I was stuck inside at lunch, again, but it was just as well as the temperature barely got out of the teens today. With the wind chill, the temps were just beyond the single digits. Don't get me wrong, I am not afraid of cold weather running but having lunch indoors is just more comfortable. So not lunch run means a night time treadmill run. The run went well and I felt really good. The last couple miles were done at near 7:00 pace (largely aided by the battlefield scenes of the World War II movie I was watching).

Run: Treadmill, 52:30, Pace 7:30, No HR

From the fun files, my sister-in-law appreciates both my love of running and Krispy Kreme donuts so she sent me information on what is possibly the world's best run (besides the Pineland Farms Trail Challenge and the Bradbury Bruiser). The Krispy Kreme Challenge. This run consists of a two mile run from N.C. State University to the local Krispy Kreme where "race" participants must eat 1 dozen donuts and then run the two miles back, all in under one hour. Good fun. I wonder what the ultra distance of this race would be like. I am thinking I will propose something similar to Ian for the L.L.Bean race series. Maybe we have participants eat one whoopie for each mile of a race. So we do the 12 Mile Bradbury Bruiser and you eat a dozen whoopie pies. Perfect.



2 comments:

Blaine Moore said...

When I was in college, we used to always joke about doing our Sunday Long Run as "Back from Krispy Kreme" instead - well, shortly after one cross country season, a few of us decided to actually do it.

There were 3 or 4 of us, we got dropped off at Krispy Kreme, and I think that we averaged 15 donuts each before running the 4 or 5 miles back to campus. (I ate 19 of them - they were just out of the oven and went down very easy.)

I didn't have any trouble with the run back. At that point in my life, I had an iron stomach. My buddies, they had some troubles getting back. The side of the road was less than pristine by the time we had returned, and as far as I know nobody has done the run since. Definitely not while I was still in school at least.

Anonymous said...

Now that is just outright nasty. I can not imagine eating just one of those lovely coated donuts (and yes, I know they are the best fat pills out there) and trying to run any distance beyond ten feet.

My favorite was the fraternity row run we had at UMaine Orono until Residential Life cracked down. It was about a 10K and you had to drink a 16 oz beer at each fraternity. If the surviving brain cells are correct, there was somewhere around 12 house. The winner from our house was our worst runner but one hell of a drinker. One rule was no blow...so I had to sip after the first few miles. I am glad those days are behind me.